The Kent FA Youth Council is designed to inspire, empower and provide a voice for all children and young people to influence change, and develop a lasting legacy in football. The Youth Council enables young people in Kent to identify, discuss and consider local grassroots football issues and areas of concern that they consider important.
Over the last five years the multi award winning Youth Council have helped create and deliver inspirational projects which have supported the participation of players and volunteers in Kent.
Some of the highlights include:
- "Be a Kent..." Campaign The Kent FA Youth Council encouraged more people to get involved in grassroots football, and produced a series of videos showing the different pathways available. The Youth Council decided to run this campaign in response to a worrying drop-off in player numbers in the 16-19 year old age group. Click here to read the press release about this campaign.
- 'SWEARING - Lets Tackle It!' Supported by Kent FA staff, the Youth Council collaborated with Fixers UK, a charity which supports young people across the UK to take action and change things for the better, and orchestrated a campaign tackling foul and abusive language in the game. Click here to read the press release about this campaign.
- 2015 Football Futures Project The Kent FA Youth Council signed up 2,015 young people to the Football Futures programme in 2015. The Kent FA Football Futures programme is intended to support young people interested in volunteering in football by rewarding them for their volunteering and providing opportunities for them to receive training, gain experience and meet other young volunteers in the game. Click here to read the press release about this campaign.
The achievements of the Youth Council go above and beyond the successful delivery of projects with the group and its ambassadors receiving a number of accolades including;
- Winners of The FA 2016 Football Futures 'Unite’ award.
- Winners of The FA 2016 Football Futures 'County FA Youth Council’ award.
- Winners of The FA 2014 Football Futures 'County FA Youth Council’ RESPECT award.
- Winners of The FA 2013 Football Futures 'County FA Youth Council’ award.
- Ambassador Toby Elgar winner of the 2015 Kent FA Young Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Ambassador Ricky Adams recipient of a FA 150 Grassroots Hero award.
- Ambassador Luke Baker won The FA 2013 Football Futures 'Outstanding Leader Award' category.
- Ambassador Luke Baker appointed to The FA National Game Youth Council.
- Ambassador Luke Baker appointed as Kent FA Football Development Administrator.
- Ambassador Lauren Ramsden winner of the 2016 Kent FA Young Volunteer of the Year Award
- Ambassador Herbie Tyler appointed as Kent FA Football Development Officer.
- Ambassador Aidan Willis appointed to The FA National Game Youth Council.
- Ambassador Aidan Willis appointed as Shepway Sports Trust Projects & Volunteer Manager.
In addition to the awards and achievements the ambassadors have also benefited from comprehensive personal development with 14 ambassadors attending the FA National Football Futures camp at St. Georges Park over the 5 years while 7 have been funded to complete the FA Level 2 – Certificate in Football and a further 8 being supported through the FA Basic Referees course. Furthermore the ambassadors have been provided with workshops on presentation skills, safeguarding and employability.
Kent FA Chief Executive, Paul Dolan said: "We are extremely proud of our Youth Council; the achievements and awards are testament to the young people who started the trend for County FA’s to provide a platform for young people within the decision making processes.”
“Our Youth Council has been pioneering and under the leadership of Laurel Collins we are all very excited about the projects and outcomes from this ambitious group in the future”.
For further details or to discuss the Kent FA Youth Council please contact Lee Suter (Football Development Officer) on 01622 792 140 or at email@example.com.