KR U16 Boys Youth Cup Final 2018

Kennington JFC Lift the Kent Reliance U16 Boys Youth Cup!

Kennington JFC won an energy sapping Kent Reliance Under 16 Cup with not one but two extra time penalties to defeat defending cup holders Maidstone United under the scorching Sunday afternoon sunshine.

After Maidstone snatched the lead just before half time as Harvey Brown swept home, only for Charlie Gill to gloriously send the Final into extra time with a stunning strike.

The Final exploded into life as Kennington were awarded two penalties in the last minute of the first period as first Eban Gurang and then Harrison Byrne scored from twelve yards to win the Trophy for the underdogs.

Billy Bone, the Kennington boss was thrilled at his side’s triumph and told KSN, “I’m a very happy man – not for me but for the players.  I thought that we fully deserved the win.  Everyone’s congratulated us for winning with such small numbers (Kennington had only twelve players to choose from).  We’ve come unstuck but today we’ve beaten a National League side after beating Bromley in the Semi, and no-one can argue that we deserved it.  We tried to play football and got the 3-1 victory I think that we deserved.”

Maidstone boss Lee Juggins though was left scratching his head.  “We won another Cup on Thursday night,” he told KSN, “but that performance was so different!  I’m disappointed with today but how can I be disappointed with the shift they’ve put in this season – that was just our third defeat!  Thursday didn’t help and sunny conditions today I think made it just a bit too far.  No complaints about either penalty and as good as we were the other night, today we were just a bit too flat!”

It was a stifling first half as both sides struggled with the heat.  Lucas Payne prodded an effort off of Kennington’s right post whilst Stones keeper Alfie Synnuck was called into action smothering Byrne’s shot.  Kennington keeper Magnus Lewis got into the game as he beat out Marcus Hinge’s effort after he had been put through by Ike Orji before on the stroke of half time, Brown reacted quickest to bundle the ball over the line.

Eban Gurang snatched at a good half chance for Kennington early in the second half before they deservedly levelled through a magnificent strike from Gill.  Almost as though it had kick started the Stones, they had a couple of great chances – firstly Brown brought the very best out of keeper Lewis from twenty-five yards, before the keeper parried Orji’s effort and was thankful for the defensive goal line clearance.

Into extra time the Final went, and Brown did well to make room on the edge of the box before firing over before Lewis Foreman’s shot only just cleared the Kennington bar.
Just as the first period ticked into its last minute, Gurang was brought down b Orji, and the Kennington striker dusted himself down and with a little stutter sent Synnuck the wrong was from the spot.  Second later and in their next attack, a long bouncing ball into the Maidstone box wasn’t dealt with and when Gill went down, referee Solis awarded a second spot kick which Byrne converted to seal the triumph.

KENNINGTON JUNIORS – Magnus Lewis, Ashis Rai, Jamie Todd, Ross Johnstone, Eban Gurang, Harrison Byrne, Samuel Tansil, Ronan Rai, Kuka Radojevic, Charlie Gill, Sid Gurung
Sub – Lucas Nicholson

MAIDSTONE UNITED – Alfie Synnuck, Sam Freeman, William Rison, Ike Orji, Tyler Juggins, Jordan King, Lewis Foreman, Lucas Payne, Marcus Hinge, Leo Deere, Harvey Brown
Subs – Nicky Hunt, Luis Dos Santos, Faz Abassi, Craig Sherlock

Referee – Max Sollis
Assistants – Cagri Ustaoglu and Luke Sidaway

Related Match Reports

View All