Kent U13 Boys Youth Cup Final 2018

Welling Youth Become U13 Champions!

Welling Youth edged past a gutsy Sevenoaks Town to win the first Kent Reliance Kent Cup of the season!

Welling Youth edged past a gutsy Sevenoaks Town to win the first Kent Reliance Kent Cup of the season on Mothering Sunday at Salters Lane, Faversham

Ahead at the break through Teddy Baughen, Noah Joyce doubled the lead only for Sevenoaks to mount a fantastic comeback and get agonisingly close to levelling the scores – Jeremiah Tchetche did find the net and George Vincent was agonisingly close to sliding in a second at the far post.  A penalty from Joyee re-established the two-goal cushion which in the end was to prove decisive.

Speaking to KSN after the game, Welling boss Louis Dean admitted that his side had nerves at kick-off.  “Don’t know why but the boys were a bit nervous before the start but to their credit they tried to play their game on a very tough pitch.”  He went on, “in our transitional season from nine-a-side to eleven, this was one of our targets this season, as its our job to develop the way that the guys play and just by getting here, I think that we’ve achieved something there.”

“We got sloppy after we scored the second goal which allowed them back into things, and they have to take massive credit for getting as close as they did.  That said we created enough chances and, in the end, got the result we deserved.

Sevenoaks coach Toby Lansdale admitted, “we made too many mistakes in both boxes and they took their chances.  This is our first Final of the season and it’s a massive learning curve for all of us.  I’m delighted that our first team manager was here to watch as it gives the boys a boost and something to aim for.”
Welling had the first chance when Jack McCarthy was brilliantly and bravely denied by Sevenoaks keeper Samuel Hartley early on – one of a series of fine saves the Sevenoaks keeper made particularly in a very even first half when the game could have gone either way.  

Tchetche shot wide when well placed at the other end before Baughen got on the end of a fine advantage – after Rasheed Tijani had been fouled – to force the ball into the net.  Indeed, Tijani was a touch fortunate not to have received a caution for a clumsy cum reckless challenge on Sam Gale which on another day could well have seen a card of either colour.

Jimmy Hoy went close for Sevenoaks right at the start of the second half as he forced keeper Ben Jay into a smart save before the keeper then denied George Newman with his legs before the Welling lead was doubled as Joyee swept home at the far post after a ball found its way all the way to the far post.

Yet Sevenoaks pulled one back almost immediately when Tchetche got on the end of Eddy Angolia’s flick to drill the ball into the bottom corner.  In their next attack, Sevenoaks were agonisingly close to levelling as Angolia’s driven ball across the face of goal was a fraction away from being touched home at the far post by Vincent.

The trophy was sealed for Welling though when Tijani was fouled and Joyee sent the luckless Hartley the wrong way from the spot as Welling sealed the win.

SEVENOAKS TOWN FC – Samuel Hartley, Pantelis Ilori, Sam Gale, Cameron Brayne, Freddie Bennett, Jimmy Hoy, George Theis, George Newman, Jeremiah Tchetche, Max Chowler, George Vincent
Subs – Eddy Angolia, Leo Vowles, Henry Nott

WELLING YOUTH FC – Ben Jay, Elliott Nimmo. Jude Salmon, Luca Bradley, Harry Day, Noah Joyee, Rasheed Tijani, Sinayomi Abiola, Teddy Baughen, Harry Hopper, Jack McCarthy
Subs – Teddy Pacey, Joshua Kelsey, Kavan Murphy, Josh Serry-Kamal, Ben Maynard