Kent FA U18 Rep Squad Nov 2018

Kent Bow Out Of FA County Youth Cup!

Kent FA 2 - 6 Gloucestershire FA

Kent FA 2 - 6 Gloucestershire FA 

Kent FA U18 Representative team bowed out of the FA County Youth Cup falling to a 6-2 defeat at the hands of Gloucestershire FA at Maidstone United.

With both teams receiving a Bye in the First Round it was their first taste of FA County cup action this season and it was the visitors who were quickest out of the block taking the lead in the 9th minute when Sam Larkins headed home from a corner, moments later and James Okell came close to doubling their lead but his effort went wide of Ben Folkard’s post. Kent strived to get back into the match and Freddie Entwistle was instrumental as the hosts began to get a foothold in the game. Josh Stirman’s run and shot was well saved at the near post and from the resulting corner Freddie Entwistle’s shot was blocked on the line. With halftime approaching Gloucestershire scored a second goal with a long range effort from Cameron Rees to give Kent an uphill task to get back into the tie.

The second half began with Kent on the front foot this time and they halved the deficit just five minutes into the period, again Freddie Entwistle was heavily involved as his delightful through ball found George Robinson who slotted past Joe Wright. Gloucestershire came straight back and a neat move saw Adam Bloomfield volley narrowly over the bar as the visitors looked to reclaim their two goal lead. However, it was Kent who scored the next goal drawing level in doing so. Baily Sinnock rising to head home Freddie Entwistle’s corner, the Gloucestershire defender clearing from the line but the Assistant Referee signalled the ball had crossed the line. We now had a real cup tie on our hands as both teams went in search of a winner and Gloucestershire delivered the knockout blow with two goals in the space of a minute, firstly a free kick into the Kent box was inadvertently deflected into his own goal by George Porter which was then followed by Gloucestershire Captain Andre Freckleton making it four. Kent then naturally pushed forward in search of goals which made them vulnerable to the counter attack to which Gloucestershire exploited perfectly with just five minutes remaining as Jay Murray got his team’s fifth goal with substitute Miguel Freckleton adding the gloss to the performance by adding a sixth just before the final whistle.

A disappointing exit from this year’s Competition but Gloucestershire fully deserved their victory. Kent FA Manager Ian Varley said afterwards “No doubt about it we were beaten by the better team on the day, no arguments about that. The boys did very well to get it back to 2-2 and at that moment I thought we would go on and win it but unfortunately we made a number of individual errors that cost us in the end. The score certainly doesn’t reflect the game as a whole but they were clinical in the final 15 minutes so fair play to them. I wish them all the very best for the rest of the season.”

Kent FA Squad: Ben Folkard (Hollands & Blair FC), Scott Jarvis (Bromley FC), Ernest Turay (Bromley FC), George Porter © (Bromley FC), Cameron Williams (Maidstone United FC), Baily Sinnock (Faversham Town FC), Jacob Gilbert (Maidstone United FC), Freddie Entwistle (K Sports FC), George Robinson (K Sports FC), Beau Landau (K Sports FC), Josh Stirman (Hythe Town FC), Joe Muddiman (Faversham Town FC), Charlie Dale (Hollands & Blair FC), Craig Appleby (Faversham Strikeforce FC), Wayne Everest (Faversham Strikeforce FC).

Related Match Reports

View All