U16 Boys Cup Final

Report - Kent U16 Boys Cup Final

Bromley FC 3-4 Kennington Juniors FC

Bromley followed up their U15 defeat by coming back from 3-0 down to concede in the final minute of added time as Kennington Junior were victorious in the Kent U16 Boys Youth Cup.

Both teams showed glimpses of why they made the final, with both playing free-flowing, attacking football that even players at the top level of professional football would be proud of. 

Kennington were in front inside two minutes through Callum Austin who finished the shot brilliantly. Jack Nelson picked up the ball at the halfway line and played a great through ball to Austin out wide. The striker then ran towards the edge of the box and looked like he was going to cross the ball, but instead lobbed the goalkeeper into the top left corner. 

Bromley were almost level immediately when Joe Robson got given the ball in the box, he turned his defender well and took a shot that was well saved by Sam Hignett in the Kennington goal. 

They continued to pile pressure on as they looked for the equaliser and it almost came through Asher Maliki when his shot from the edge of the box was deflected onto the bar.

Bromley thought they were level moments later when Joe Robson put the ball in the net, but he was judged to be in an offside position when he picked up the ball. 

Morgan Green made Bromley rue that as he doubled Kennington’s lead with a brilliant strike from outside the area, which curled away from the goalkeeper and into the top corner. 

Bromley’s day was made even worse in the second half as Green caused more damage to the defence and won his side a penalty, which was coolly put away by Noah Carney,

Bromley then had the ball in the net for the second time, but for the second time it was disallowed for offside as, but what was spectacular was what was soon to come.

They got one back with 20 minutes to go after a scramble in the box found its way to Matthew Campbell to poke the ball home.

Two minutes later, Bromley had a second when Maliki slotted into the corner, leading to a nervy ending for Kennington.

Bromley equalised with 10 minutes to go in dubious fashion as a corner taken by Niven Marimootoo was caught by Hignett, however the goalkeeper stepped back over the line with the ball, giving Bromley their equaliser.

Amazingly that was not the end to the drama as Finn Reid ran through in the final minute to slot past Harry Banks to make sure Bromley’s comeback was cut short. 

Bromley FC
Banks, Charles-Cook, Welsh, Murphy, Fitzgerald, Robson, Maliki, Bahja, Meek, Turner, Francis

Smith, Marimootoo, Campbell, Royce, Amankwah 

Manager – Bill Banks 

Kennington FC
Hignett, Massindo, Wall, Lawrence, Green, Austin, Finlayson, Carney, Reid, Nelson, Akehurst

Substitutes – McGregor, Biney, Hopkins, Care, Codd

Manager – Graham Jordan 

Referee – Bartosz Chmielecki 

Assistants – Bsave Gurung and Freddie Young 

Fourth Official – Aidan Moloney