County Cup winners

Dartford 6 v Whitstable Town 1

Princes’s Park in Dartford hosted the delayed 2020/21 Kent Senior Cup Final between the Darts and Whitstable Town.

Coming into the game, Dartford were top of the National League South, two leagues higher than the Oystermen who were in the lower reaches of their league. The difference showed in the early exchanges. Dartford had already had two corners before Kieran Murtagh cut in from the right  and saw his shot crash back off the bar. Whitstable half cleared it but it fell kindly for Danny Leonard who smashed his twenty yard effort into the top corner in just the third minute.
County Cup winners
Soon after, Whitstable came close to levelling. Brilliant close control by Kemo Darboe allowed him the opportunity to send Thomas Carlton away but Dartford goalkeeper Dan Wilks beat his shot away.
Leonard fired wide then Murtagh drew a fine save out of Daniel Eason. A long through ball sent Jake Robinson away but his first time lob flew over. However, He was not to be denied for long. Tyrique Hyde was brought down in the area and Robinson finished from the spot.
George Porter and Hyde were each on target but Eason saved well both times before Dartford scored again. Hyde’s shot was deflected into the path of Robinson and he finished clinically from close range.
Robinson thought that he had completed his hat-trick when bundling home after Eason had saved brilliantly from Porter but the former Bromley striker had strayed offside. However, Porter was definitely not offside when he made it four. Hyde sent over a cross and Porter rose to guide his header home.
After Robinson swept over a Leonard cross, he turned creator for Hyde to make it five a minute before the break. There was still time for Wilks to make an excellent save from Carlton before the half-time interval.
Just under ten minutes into the second half, Robinson completed his hat-trick when bursting forward diagonally and curling his effort inside the far post.
Five minutes later, the Whitstable supporters, who sang for the whole ninety minutes, were rewarded with a goal when Daniel Walder struck an inch perfect free kick over the wall and into the top corner with Wilks rooted to the spot.
Incredibly, after the goal glut in the first hour, there were no further goals in the remaining thirty minutes. 
Darboe curled wide for the Oystermen before Dartford substitute Dan Roberts came close three times but was unable to beat the Whitstable goalkeeper.. Easoncouldn’t keep out a crisp Robinson volley but he was flagged offside. However, two further outstanding saves kept out Roberts and Leonard.
Dartford: Wilks, Clarke, Kedman, Theobalds, Vint (Essam 46), Bonner, Leonard, Murtagh, Robinson, Porter (Roberts 63), Hyde (Husin). Subs not used: Azeez, Wanadio.
Goalscorers: Leonard (3), Robinson pen (22), (33) (54), Porter (40), Hyde (44)
Yellow cards: None
Red cards: None
Whitstable Town: Eason, Barnes (Brown 46), Mackenzie, Walder, Thomas, Mills, Gaggin, Illsey (Aiyelabola 46), Darboe, Carlton, Cham (Erutor 63). Subs not used: Goodger, McIlroy.
Goalscorers: Walder (59)
Yellow cards: MacKenzie, Carlton
Red cards: None
Referee: Simon Finnigan
Assistants: Christopher Myatt and Kane Dempster
Fourth Official: Lou Saunders
Attendance; 679

Related News

View All