Greenways Win 5-goal Thriller

Last minute goal ensures Greenways lift the Challenge Shield

Photo: Jill Playle of the Kent Air Ambulance presents Greenways with the Shield

Greenways won the 101st Intermediate Challenge Shield in dramatic fashion as an 89th minute goal sealed the win. Greenways had taken the lead in the first half but had to come from behind as 2 goals early in the second half had swung the balance in Milton & Fulston United favour before the scores were levelled 20 minutes from time. Just as it looked like extra time was on the cards at Sittingbourne, Brad Cross popped up minutes from time to win the game.

Greenways took an early lead on 15 minutes, Aaron Klemon, who was later named man of the match by sponsors Kent Air Ambulance , found the net with a clinical strike. The first half was largely a cagey affair, with few chances from both teams, which led to Greenways take a 1-0 lead at the break.

Milton & Fulston United came out for the second half rejuvenated got themselves back in the game within 5 minutes of the restart, with Karl Barron finishing from around 12 yards. The equaliser gave them more confidence and after a spell of pressure they took the lead just before the hour mark. Steven Earle, who had just come on as a sub, took a corner with his first touch, which was eventually forced in at the back post.

The turnaround sparked the game into life, forcing Greenways to attack more which stretched the game. On 70 minutes the scores were level again when a cheap free kick 25 yards from the Milton goal was expertly scored by Klemon for his second of the game. With the game on a knife edge, both teams had changes to seal the game, with both sides trying to win it in the 90, but just when it seemed like extra time would be needed, Greenways found a winner in the last minutes of normal time.

A cross field ball set away the striker down the Greenways left, and did well to get to the by-line and cross for Brad Cross to finish from 6 yards. In the last minute Milton got a free kick and packed the box, including the keeper, but Greenways held on and lifted the Shield for the first time in 26 years.


Greenways FC                          3 (Aaron Klemon 15, 70 ; Brad Cross 89)

Milton & Fulston United        2 (Karl Barron 49; Sam Hobbs 58)

Attendance 267